Head of Apps Engineering
Very Good Security
Very Good Security (“VGS”) makes it easy for customers to collect, protect and share sensitive financial data in a way that accelerates revenue, eliminates risk, ensures compliance, and drives profitability. We are on a mission to protect the world’s payment information and are seeking global talent to support our portfolio of payment security solutions including VGS Vault, PCI Compliance as a Service (PCIaaS), Payment Optimization. and Card Issuance Products.
VGS delivers a modern solution to collect, protect, and exchange sensitive data that spans from data privacy to payment acceptance and card issuance; providing businesses with tokenization, PCI compliance, data security, processor optionality, and the ability to operate on that data without compromising their security posture. VGS delivers a modern payments security solution that gives businesses ownership and control over critically valuable customer data, granting them maximum portability, operationally and value extraction to seamlessly drive expansion, and quickly build new financial products.
As the Head of Apps Engineering, you will lead a highly technical and distributed customer-facing team of engineers building payment-related services for VGS’s global customers.
What you will be doing at VGS
- Utilize both your strong leadership and technical expertise to guide and enable teams of motivated engineers and be a role model for them. You inspire your teams to reach higher and you're as good as explaining "why" as you are "how".
- Ensure that your teams are shipping high quality and architecturally-sound software at a cadence that enables the company’s business roadmap.
- Review code and design, and provide technical oversight and guidance to your team.
- Recruit, onboard, and retain talented software engineers and provide the team with coaching, career mentorship, and regular guidance.
- Partner with product and engineering leadership in defining your team’s roadmap.
- Promote an engineering process that encourages continuous delivery and shipping value to customers frequently while maintaining a relentless focus on security.
- Champion and model core VGS values of collaboration, relentless execution, and transparency; in going above and beyond what is required in order to do the right thing for our customers and the company; and promote a fun, inclusive, open work environment.
What we are looking for from you (Requirements)
- 10+ years of software development experience building ideally in a SaaS/PaaS company building internet-scale infrastructure, and 3+ years of experience in a leadership/people management role that empathizes with customer needs.
- Coding will not be your primary job, but you have extensive experience developing high-quality software, and use that experience to guide your team in producing production-quality code that does not require high effort to operate or maintain.
- Experience with modern DevOps practices, Infrastructure as code, and working experience with Docker and Kubernetes, ideally in a cloud environment.
- An understanding of how to build for scale, but able to make pragmatic choices to move quickly. You must have a strong bias for action!
- Outcome-oriented, and an understanding that providing business value should be the key focus for engineering teams.
- Comfortable working in roles that at times will be customer-facing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience successfully working with distributed teams across time zones will be a plus.
What’s unique about VGS
- We’re a quickly scaling company with a startup mindset.
- We love to empower our people to take ownership! You’ll find you are given the freedom and will own the responsibility to be successful here.
- We’re creating a remote-first philosophy. You’ll have a strong impact on a new cultural shift within the company.
What you get from us
- Flexible work hours and flexible PTO
- Competitive health benefits
- VGS stock options
- 401k plan, with employer matching 4% and immediate vesting of employer match (available only for US employees)
- Life & disability insurance
- Pre-tax flexible spending accounts, dependent and healthcare FSA (available only for US employees)
- Global parental leave program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Home Internet reimbursement
- New hire home office set up allowance
- Professional learning reimbursement
The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $180,000 - $225,000 per year. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions.
At Very Good Security, we have a remote first philosophy. We are actively hiring for fully remote positions, so you can work from the comfort of your own workspace!
At Very Good Security we value great talent. Striving to provide the best experience for our candidates VGS appreciates your candidacy. We consider applicants without regards to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or other protected classes under all local, state, and federal laws and ordinances (AA/EOE/W/M/Vet/Disabled). Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for the position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Something looks off?