Senior Infrastructure & DevOps Engineer
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, December 2, 2022
Scratch's mission is to build a repayment platform to change the way consumers experience debt. Most of us take on debt to help us get ahead, or in many cases, to not fall behind. But for most of us—despite its necessity—once we have debt, it doesn't play a healthy role in our lives. It can be hard to understand, difficult to manage, and unaccommodating to changes in our lives.
This is why we started Scratch. We wanted to reinvent the loan servicing industry, well—from scratch. We wanted to create a world where debt plays a healthier and less taxing role in more people's lives. By bringing world-class product and technical thinking to a multi-trillion industry that hasn't seen innovation in well over two decades, Scratch's platform empowers borrowers to have greater control, visibility and flexibility over their financial health, removing the traditional loan servicer from the equation altogether and bringing borrowers closer to their lenders.
Our team is rapidly growing and comes from diverse backgrounds including Dropbox, Pinterest, Prosper, Bloomberg and Ripple. Our office is based in San Francisco.
With a rapidly growing community of lenders and borrowers, we think it's time the world knows there's a better way to pay back their loans. We'd love for you to join in our mission and help play a role in changing the way we experience debt for the better!
The Scratch platform presents many exciting challenges and opportunities for designing, architecting, and operating complex systems. Our APIs and user experience cater to both enterprise (Lenders, Creditors) and consumer (Borrowers, Internal Operations) personas. What's at stake? Scratch aims to be the source of truth for trillions of dollars. Our novel platform must ensure accuracy and precision on non-trivial math down to seven decimal places with zero data loss or security compromises, resiliency to handle a massive volume of loans at scale, and the flexibility to service new and innovative financial instruments.
About the Role
As Senior Infrastructure & DevOps Engineer, you’ll be responsible for all aspects of production deployment, developer tooling, infrastructure operations, and implementing integrations that meet our customers’ needs. In this role, you’ll work with your team to design, build and operate shared utilities and infrastructure other engineers use in their everyday development. You’ll leverage in-house libraries, open-source tools, and AWS services to help create reliable code deployment pipelines and cloud infrastructure that powers the Scratch platform. The systems you and your team will put in place will shape the future of loan servicing and debt.
The ideal candidate has a solid background in software engineering, cloud-native platform design, and a passion for working with engineers to ensure that software development follows established processes and operates as intended. The Senior DevOps Engineer will also help plan complex development projects and be involved in critical project management decisions.
Our team is highly collaborative and works from our SF office 3 days per week - please note that this role requires a hybrid work model
- Design, build, and scale the next-generation cloud infrastructure on AWS that powers the core Scratch platform and is relied upon by all engineers in their everyday development
- Build highly performant, automated, and elegant code release pipelines using infrastructure as code (IaC) and modern CI/CD tooling
- Automate, improve and own the development and release processes
- Create shared infrastructure and tooling for deployment, logging, monitoring, authorization, data storage, and beyond
- Test and examine application-level code developed by others
- Harden all platform systems against security threats
- Proactively identify and design solutions to both familiar and obscure challenges in the software development life cycle
- Develop integrations with internal back-end and third-party systems
- Work with the engineering team to solve the complex challenges of maintaining reliable asynchronous, eventually consistent systems
- Mentor and coach junior technical members of the team
- Contribute to our no-blame engineering culture that values curiosity, transparency, trust, and accountability
- Our team is highly collaborative and works from our SF office 3 days per week - please note that this role requires a hybrid work model
You may be a good fit if
- You have 4+ years of experience designing, building, or operating systems running on AWS or other cloud providers
- You have 4+ years of experience in a DevOps, DevSecOps, or infrastructure engineering role
- You have 4+ years of experience provisioning infrastructure and services using tools like Terraform, CloudFormation, Chef, Ansible, or Puppet
- You’re passionate about building shared tooling, library, and infrastructure used by others
- You have experience building CI/CD pipelines capable of shipping production code multiple times per day
- You have a deep proficiency in Git and Github workflows
- You have experience coding in Ruby, Python, or similar languages in commercial environments
- You are obsessed with automation, simplification, and re-usability everywhere
- You live for teamwork and are eager to speak up, share ideas, and empower both technical and non-technical team members
- You thrive in in-office work cultures and are excited to collaborate with your team in person
Nice to Have
- You’ve worked with microservice and service-oriented architectures built with Docker, ECS, EKS, etc
- You’ve worked on technologies and applications in the financial services industry
- You have experience managing IO-heavy relational database clusters (ideally PostgreSQL)
- You’ve built workflows using Github Actions or Gitlab CI/CD
We want you!
If you made it this far, chances are you’re as excited about working to change how people experience debt as we are—and we love that. Please apply even if you’re unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. Scratch is looking for smart, intellectually curious people who are invested in our mission, not just those who can “check all the boxes”.
Benefits we Provide:
Health insurance: We cover 99% of your healthcare premiums and 70% of your dependent’s premiums and offer competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance plans.
Learning and development stipend: We offer a $1,500 per year stipend for your personal career development!
Wellness benefit: We’re proud to provide employees a $100/month pre-tax credit towards any gym or fitness program.
Catered lunches and snacks: We have high-quality catered lunches every day and well-stocked kitchens.
Generous PTO (including your birthday!), sick leave, and parental leave
401k program: We offer a 401k program!
Additional benefits: We offer each employee the opportunity to enroll in pre-tax benefits, such as commuter benefits and an FSA account.