Product & Regulatory, Associate General Counsel
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, November 2, 2022
Scratch's mission is to build a repayment platform to change the way consumers experience debt. Most of us take on debt to help us get ahead, or in many cases, to not fall behind. But for most of us—despite its necessity—once we have debt, it doesn't play a healthy role in our lives. It can be hard to understand, difficult to manage, and unaccommodating to changes in our lives.
This is why we started Scratch. We wanted to reinvent the loan servicing industry, well—from scratch. We wanted to create a world where debt plays a healthier and less taxing role in more people's lives. By bringing world-class product and technical thinking to a multi-trillion industry that hasn't seen innovation in well over two decades, Scratch's platform empowers borrowers to have greater control, visibility and flexibility over their financial health, removing the traditional loan servicer from the equation altogether and bringing borrowers closer to their lenders.
Our team is rapidly growing and comes from diverse backgrounds including Dropbox, Pinterest, Prosper, Bloomberg and Ripple. Our office is based in San Francisco.
With a rapidly growing community of lenders and borrowers, we think it's time the world knows there's a better way to pay back their loans. We'd love for you to join in our mission and help play a role in changing the way we experience debt for the better!
About the Role
We’re looking for a Product & Regulatory, Associate General Counsel who will share in our mission of changing the way consumers experience debt, and who will find enjoyment in thinking outside of the square to innovate solutions alongside our engineering, design and product operations teams that ensure our mortgage servicing product is not only world-class, but is also compliant with all applicable laws and regulations – including residential real estate, consumer finance, marketing, privacy and security laws, regulations and best practices.
In this role, you will:
- Help design our mortgage servicing product, and work closely with our engineering, design and product operations teams to innovate solutions that ensure our products are not only world-class, but also compliant with all applicable laws and regulations
- Be one of our trusted partners who will help us understand when to take risks, how to mitigate them, and when to avoid them
- Stay abreast of changes to applicable laws and regulations (including residential real estate, consumer protection, marketing, IP and privacy laws) and update internal stakeholders of relevant changes as required
- Interface and foster relationships with our key counterparties (including regulators and our partner lenders)
- Be across and understand all aspects of our business, empowering you to see the big picture and intuitively be guided not just by our legal interests but also by our business objectives
You may be an amazing fit if you have the following:
- JD from an accredited school and current member in good standing with the California bar
- 5+ years legal experience, with experience in mortgage regulation – experience in fintech is preferred
- Familiarity with launching products and experience interpreting and advising on compliance with state and federal consumer protection laws, including mortgage servicing rules (in particular, CFPB, state laws, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac servicer rules) as well as RESPA, TILA, ECOA and GLBA
- A track record for being highly accountable and driven, and relish the idea of having the opportunity to directly impact the design of a product that improves the way consumers experience debt in the most crucial asset class for most Americans – mortgages – and overhauls an industry in desperate need of change
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills and the ability to translate complex legal advice into actionable guidance for our engineering, design and product operations teams
- Demonstrated attention to detail, while still having the ability to see the big picture and knowing when to “not sweat the small stuff”
- Excellent organization and project management skills, and the ability to independently prioritize multiple simultaneous projects with different deadlines
- Excitement about being part of a mission-driven organization in a fast-moving and highly collaborative work environment within a complex industry
We want you!
If you made it this far, chances are you’re as excited about working to change how people experience debt as we are—and we love that. Please apply even if you’re unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. Scratch is looking for smart, intellectually curious people who are invested in our mission, not just those who can “check all the boxes”.
Benefits we Provide:
Health insurance: We cover 99% of your healthcare premiums and 70% of your dependent’s premiums and offer competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance plans.
Learning and development stipend: We offer a $1,500 per year stipend for your personal career development!
Wellness benefit: We’re proud to provide employees a $100/month pre-tax credit towards any gym or fitness program.
Catered lunches and snacks: We have high-quality catered lunches every day and well-stocked kitchens.
Generous PTO (including your birthday!), sick leave, and parental leave
401k program: We offer a 401k program!
Additional benefits: We offer each employee the opportunity to enroll in pre-tax benefits, such as commuter benefits and an FSA account.