Director of Compliance
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, November 2, 2022
Scratch's mission is to build a repayment platform to change the way consumers experience debt. Most of us take on debt to help us get ahead, or in many cases, to not fall behind. But for most of us—despite its necessity—once we have debt, it doesn't play a healthy role in our lives. It can be hard to understand, difficult to manage, and unaccommodating to changes in our lives.
This is why we started Scratch. We wanted to reinvent the loan servicing industry, well—from scratch. We wanted to create a world where debt plays a healthier and less taxing role in more people's lives. By bringing world-class product and technical thinking to a multi-trillion industry that hasn't seen innovation in well over two decades, Scratch's platform empowers borrowers to have greater control, visibility and flexibility over their financial health, removing the traditional loan servicer from the equation altogether and bringing borrowers closer to their lenders.
Our team is rapidly growing and comes from diverse backgrounds including Dropbox, Pinterest, Prosper, Bloomberg and Ripple. Our office is based in San Francisco.
With a rapidly growing community of lenders and borrowers, we think it's time the world knows there's a better way to pay back their loans. We'd love for you to join in our mission and help play a role in changing the way we experience debt for the better!
About the Role
Scratch is looking for an experienced compliance manager who is ready to take on more responsibility and excited to define and build out compliance processes. You will own compliance processes at Scratch, working closely with the other members of our Platform Operations and Platform Engineering teams to respond to assure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures while also identifying opportunities to make our compliance processes more efficient.
Scratch is currently operating under a hybrid model in San Francisco, and partial in-person attendance is required for this role (3 days a week in office).
In this role, you will:
- Iterate and mature all aspects of Scratch’s compliance program and build out Scratch’s compliance team, so that our compliance framework is robust and able to scale as Scratch continues to grow.
- Maintain our compliance policies and procedures and compliance library, identifying potential opportunities for improvement in Scratch’s compliance processes that Platform Operations or Platform Engineering could implement.
- Interface with external partners and regulators, including responding to regulatory inquiries and examinations, while also managing a regulatory calendar.
- Continue to develop and oversee our compliance training programs, deliver training, maintain inventory and monitor internal training for business.
- Stay up to date on all compliance-related developments in relevant jurisdictions impacting business activities, and continually refine and perfect the company’s compliance programs.
- Manage the application and ongoing processes of any necessary licenses or registrations across the company.
- Interact with product and engineering teams in active feedback loops to continuously improve our systems and processes.
- Oversee and coordinate internal risk management systems; assist in developing internal controls to mitigate identified risks.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- You have 5+ years of compliance experience, preferably within the either payments or loan servicing industries
- Strong and detailed understanding of regulations related to loan servicing and lending.
- You have experience working in fast-paced environments, and have the ability to work under pressure and identify, prioritize and resolve issues quickly and independently.
- You have excellent communication, organization and project management skills, and the ability to independently prioritize multiple simultaneous projects with different deadlines.
- You have a positive attitude towards working with regulators, and direct experience interacting with federal and state consumer finance regulatory bodies.You approach problem solving with curiosity and a desire to grow and learn
- You have a results-driven attitude and find enjoyment in creatively navigating novel solutions in an industry ripe for change.
- You are excited about being part of a mission-driven organization in a fast-moving and highly collaborative work environment within a complex industry.
- You have expertise in corporate compliance controls, systems, and processes.
- You have exceptional ethics, judgment, and discretion.
- You have demonstrated the ability to identify and remediate gaps in current systems and processes.
- CRCM certification preferred, but not required.
We want you!
If you made it this far, chances are you’re as excited about working to change how people experience debt as we are—and we love that. Please apply even if you’re unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. Scratch is looking for smart, intellectually curious people who are invested in our mission, not just those who can “check all the boxes”.
Benefits we Provide:
Health insurance: We cover 99% of your healthcare premiums and 70% of your dependent’s premiums and offer competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance plans.
Learning and development stipend: We offer a $1,500 per year stipend for your personal career development!
Wellness benefit: We’re proud to provide employees a $100/month pre-tax credit towards any gym or fitness program.
Catered lunches and snacks: We have high-quality catered lunches every day and well-stocked kitchens.
Generous PTO (including your birthday!), sick leave, and parental leave
401k program: We offer a 401k program!
Additional benefits: We offer each employee the opportunity to enroll in pre-tax benefits, such as commuter benefits and an FSA account.