Senior Staff Engineer
Oakland, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 5, 2023
What we do and why we do it
As the leading end-to-end investment platform for single-family rental homes (SFR), our mission is to make real estate investing radically accessible, cost effective, and simple. We successfully merge our passion for helping investors build wealth through real estate with cutting edge technology that transforms the way they do it.
How it’s going (and growing)
With a talented team of 400+ Roofsters, our collaborative, can-do culture is what fuels our growth. Early last year we closed on our Series E, raising $240 million, and have offices in California, Texas, and New York as well as many remote opportunities. Our growth includes recent acquisitions of Great Jones (full-service property management), Stessa (financial management software) to empower customers with a seamless way to acquire, manage, and track their investment properties on one platform, and Rent Prep (tenant screening and placement service for landlords).
Under our roof
We get a lot of attention for our innovation—like being on the Forbes Fintech 50 and Red Herring 100—but we’re most proud of being recognized as a Great Place to Work® (Check out our reviews!). We’re nice, get things done, and have fun. We champion professional growth and work-life balance.
This is a hands on position. As the Senior Staff Engineer, you’ll build and lead the team who works to ensure that Roofstock’s public cloud platforms support the firm’s current and future business needs, driving technology and process in support of these ends. This is a high-profile position that will have exposure across the entirety of the business, driving the development, implementation, and management of these platforms’ roadmaps and associated projects and processes.
Initially, you will be the sole team member, diving in and gaining an understanding of Roofstock's current use of cloud and updating the firm's cloud strategy and driving the implementation of thereof. A team will be built around you based upon the needs you expose.
What You Will Do:
- Provide technical leadership to the broader Roofstock organization while working with internal customers to understand the firm’s current and future needs and to drive associated backlogs for execution by internal teams
- Support the implementation and management of Reference Architectures for use on Roofstock’s cloud platforms
- Work with others in IT and Engineering management to drive best practices in cloud and platform development, deployment, and management
- Identify and manage priorities within the context of IT and software development objectives
- Partner with other groups in IT, Engineering, and Product organizations to support the organizational transformation currently underway within the Roofstock technical orgs
- Build and manage a team of engineers in the building and operation of Roofstock’s public and private cloud platforms and the shared services which support said platforms, contributing technically to the implementation thereof
- Establish strong working relationships at all organizational levels and across functional teams and organizational boundaries
What You Will Bring With You:
- Minimum of 10 years of combined experience in the implementation and management of public cloud computing platforms
- Proven ability to lead teams across multiple locations/geographies, preferably as a technical lead
- Knowledge of public cloud, software development, and system integration
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Deep knowledge of public cloud concepts, with experience with AWS and Azure
- Deep knowledge of infrastructure as code, including Terraform and CloudFormation
- Experience building systems with micro services and/or SOA architectures
- Highly motivated to research and self-study to keep technical, business, and leadership skills relevant in a highly complex environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with great attention to detail and accuracy
For our regular full-time roles we offer a great benefits package!
Equity incentives to give you a stake in the Company’s future
Medical, Vision and Dental for you (95%) and your dependents (70%)
Flexible time off and sick days
We exhibit an upbeat and collaborative work culture
Virtual company-sponsored outings
Roofstock is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Roofstock, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.