Senior Full Stack Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer - Workspace Team
Location: London or Hybrid/Flexible Remote
We have an office in London and this position can either be based in the office, hybrid, or remote. We have a weekly collaboration day where attendance is encouraged but optional (all subject to your existing legal right to work in the jurisdiction).
OpenFin is a high-growth enterprise productivity tech company backed by the world’s largest banks and most respected FinTech VCs, including J.P. Morgan, Barclays, HSBC, Wells Fargo, SC Ventures, Bain Capital Ventures, DRW, Nyca Partners, and Pivot Investment Partners. OpenFin modernises and democratises app development and distribution in the finance space. We provide a secure OS that brings a fast and intuitive app experience to the financial desktop. Built on Google’s Chromium, OpenFin combines native experience, data sharing, lightning-fast distribution, and robust security with an agile web development and deployment model to accelerate digital transformation and innovation. Today, over 4,000 apps across 675,000 users run on OpenFin, and with the company recently completing a Series D funding round, OpenFin is set for continued growth and expansion.
Within finance, the number of firms utilising OpenFin technology has grown from 2,400 to 3,800 since the launch of Workspace in May 2021. Having recently closed our Series D funding, we are paving the way for exciting times ahead!
About the Role
OpenFin is growing and we are looking to add an additional software engineer to our global Workspace team! We are seeking a full stack developer with hands-on experience working across various stages of software development and a passion for designing, building, and innovation. In addition, an active interest in a wide range of technologies and a desire to learn new ones! Supported by our array of expert engineers, you will play a critical role in developing creative solutions for our clients. Our ideal candidate has a quality first-mindset and is a solutions-oriented, reliable self-starter, with a strong attention to detail. You should be a quick-learner that enjoys solving unique problems. Once again, the ability to learn and quickly comprehend is critical to success. People who enjoy going deep into understanding the foundations and seek to learn, will make great team members. We have an informal, collaborative, and fun working environment and the person in this seat will get to work with an exceptional team of engineers across the US & the UK.
- Design and build APIs and related functionality that power some of the most complex and mission critical applications at the world's largest financial institutions
- Apply the knowledge, rigor and patterns typically used to create backend server or full stack architectures to instead solve complex front end challenges on the desktop
- Quickly get up to speed with technologies and products of interest to OpenFin and our customers. Many of the problems we solve are unique and require creative solutions
- Make impactful and insightful contributions to code reviews and design discussions
- Identify challenges to adoption of APIs (developer ergonomics, failure states, future unplanned use cases) and suggest solutions to these, whether through code, API design, or documentation
- Recommend improvements to the software designs and code to peers and customers
- In partnership with the design team and other engineers, leverage your knowledge of commonly used user interfaces (i.e. the Windows Operating System, browsers like Chrome, Firefox, and other specialty browsers, modern desktop apps like Slack and VS Code) to identify edge cases or usability concerns
- Where necessary, create spikes or proof of concept code to address technical unknowns, and where applicable promote these into production quality code
- Write reusable code - DRY concept
- Contribute to growing our team and our culture
Our Ideal Candidate Has Experience and/or Interest In
- The design of distributed systems
- Highly complex asynchronous programming
- Collaborating with UX/Design/QA teams
- Desktop or container technologies such as PWAs, ElectronJS, or the OpenFin Container
- Working in an agile environment and the ability to think ahead of the sprint
- Experience working in enterprise production environments
What We're Looking For
- 3+ years of experience building complex consumer grade web applications and a good understanding of software design patterns
- Experience with a wide range of other technologies and frameworks such as .NET, Java, Python, Go, React, NextJS, Mocha, C++, etc.is preferred
- A grasp of how to understand business requirements and the way they translate to technical requirements
- Ability to foster a collaborative and supportive environment working within engineering, product and customer solutions teams and be comfortable communicating with clients on occasion
- The ability to be adaptable and nimble to meet the needs of various stakeholders and shift tasks as necessary
- Excellent analytical thinking, oral and written communication skills with the ability to influence peers
What We’re Offering
- Time to Rejuvenate - 25 days of paid time off, in addition to 8 paid holidays each calendar year
- Time to Recuperate - 40 hours of sick time each calendar year
- Medical Insurance - A group medical insurance plan with Vitality which includes a personal health fund, medical/dental treatment, mental health and advanced cancer coverage
- Parental Leave and Workplace Nursery Benefit
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Stock Options
Additional Perks -
- Access to the Vitality GP App - Schedule virtual GP consultations and receive referrals
- Vitality Plus Benefits - 50% off select gym memberships, 50% off running shoes and bikes, free 30-minute health checks, Apple Watch discounts, etc.
- Unlimited Coffee, Tea, Snacks, and Beer on Tap
Life at OpenFin
At OpenFin, our mission is to stay on the cutting edge of web technologies and to enable our customers to do the same. We pride ourselves on our friendly, diverse, understanding and supportive culture. Our goal is to create a space where employees can learn and innovate, and overall, have a good time doing it. We value and appreciate that our employees have a wide set of interests and experiences. Getting to know each other and forming relationships is important, which is why we regularly host offsite events, happy hours and virtual social hours, in addition to having a variety of Employee Resource Groups to participate in. Our environment is conducive to a productive and enjoyable learning experience -- aligned together, moving fast and working to create compelling solutions for our clients.
RECRUITERS NOTICE: Recruiters - if you wish to reach out to us regarding this job posting, you may reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org in order for your communication to be reviewed. OpenFin will review these communications if external help is needed for a position. Agencies may not contact individuals within our organization with solicitations. Firms that do not follow these guidelines risk having all communication from their firm being blocked. We thank you in advance for your cooperation in following our process.