Financial Crime Analyst
💙 Our Mission
📌 We are on a mission to increase economic opportunity for Africans globally.
Why does our mission matter?
There are over 1.3 billion Africans in the world. Africa is the most expensive place to send money to and trade with.
Talent is everywhere but opportunity isn’t. How do we bridge this divide with a sense of purpose?
- Think about people living far away from their loved ones who are financially responsible and support them. Imagine how you would feel losing 8-9% of your money through fees. How do we reduce the cost of sending money home through technology?
- What about the future of work? Think about those young TikTok influencers in Uganda who make amazing content, but can’t get paid because they don’t have Visa or Mastercards yet have mobile money?
- What about the future for businesses? Think about those who are trying to do cross-border business from Africa outbound to the rest of the world? Why is it so hard to trade today? Why do people have to send money with other people physically or cash on planes? How much money and time is lost while doing this?
- What about the reliability of trade? When payments are delayed, that means business is disrupted. This costs everyone money. It loses us trust with customers.
NALA’s true impact will be measured by the opportunities we create for Africa to trade with the world and the world to trade with Africa.
🙌 Your mission
Your mission is to detect and prevent illegal financial activities, ensuring our customers money is safe and that we follow all relevant financial crime and compliance regulations. You will provide operational firepower, working on cases a large portion of the time whilst also providing strategic insight and analysis.
🎯 Your responsibilities in this role
- Backlog Review / Escalation:
- Conduct thorough reviews of historical financial data, identifying anomalies, and potential indicators of financial crime.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to escalate and investigate suspicious transactions or activities promptly.
- Work closely with law enforcement and regulatory agencies when necessary to report and escalate high-risk findings.
- Transaction Monitoring:
- Implement and manage transaction monitoring systems to detect unusual patterns or trends in financial transactions.
- Handle alerts generated by monitoring systems, conducting in-depth investigations to determine the legitimacy of flagged activities.
- Stay abreast of emerging trends and typologies related to financial crime to enhance monitoring capabilities.
- Prepare and submit detailed reports on suspicious activities, ensuring compliance with regulatory reporting requirements.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to communicate findings, provide insights, and recommend appropriate actions to mitigate risks.
- Assist in the preparation of periodic reports for management, highlighting key trends, risks, and mitigation strategies.
- Automation and Tooling:
- Evaluate and implement automation tools to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of financial crime detection and prevention processes.
- Collaborate with engineering and data analytics teams to develop and maintain cutting-edge tools for monitoring, analyzing, and reporting on financial transactions.
- Stay informed about advancements in financial crime detection technology and recommend improvements to existing tools and processes.
🔥 Must have job requirements
- At least 3 years experience with financial crime analysis, with a focus on transaction monitoring and investigation in a fintech or similar environment
- Analytical skills with the ability to interpret complex financial data.
- Experience with Data Visualisation tools such as Tableau, Power BI or similar
- Ability to write automations / scripting in Python or similar
- Knowledge of regulatory frameworks related to financial crime (e.g., AML, KYC).
- Proficiency in using financial crime detection tools and software.
- Excellent communication skills to convey findings and insights effectively.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and external partners.
💪 Nice to have job requirements
- Relevant certifications such as Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) or equivalent.
🎤 Interview Process
You will need to first submit your application through our ATS Workable.
If successful you will be selected for our interview process which has 4 stages:
- [30mins] Interview with the Talent Team
- This is our initial touchpoint. We're keen to understand your motivations and experiences better. As a tip, reflecting on why you applied for this role and being familiar with your application responses will be beneficial.
- You’ll meet with some senior members of the team. They will be interested to understand more about your specific skills and experiences. To prepare for this interview you should;
- know your CV like the back-of-your-hand.
- Have plenty of examples of how you’ve made an impact in previous jobs.
- Research the STAR technique
- Demonstrate your knowledge of NALA
- Ask us good questions during the interview
- We’ll set a short technical challenge to test your skills. We’ll share more details about this at the time.
- You’ll get to meet with some of the NALA leadership, showcase your drive, problem solving and communication skills.
- We’ll aim to come back to you with a timely decision and feedback on your overall interview process.