Senior Data Engineer
💙 Our Mission
📌 We are on a mission to increase economic opportunity for Africans globally.
Why does our mission matter?
There are over 1.3 billion Africans in the world. Africa is the most expensive place to send money to and trade with.
Talent is everywhere but opportunity isn’t. How do we bridge this divide with a sense of purpose?
- Think about people living far away from their loved ones who are financially responsible and support them. Imagine how you would feel losing 8-9% of your money through fees. How do we reduce the cost of sending money home through technology?
- What about the future of work? Think about those young TikTok influencers in Uganda who make amazing content, but can’t get paid because they don’t have Visa or Mastercards yet have mobile money?
- What about the future for businesses? Think about those who are trying to do cross-border business from Africa outbound to the rest of the world? Why is it so hard to trade today? Why do people have to send money with other people physically or cash on planes? How much money and time is lost while doing this?
- What about the reliability of trade? When payments are delayed, that means business is disrupted. This costs everyone money. It loses us trust with customers.
NALA’s true impact will be measured by the opportunities we create for Africa to trade with the world and the world to trade with Africa.
🙌 Your mission
Your mission is pivotal in transforming NALA into a data-empowered organisation. You are the architect of our data landscape, ensuring every query and decision at NALA is backed by accurate, accessible data. By building and maintaining robust data platforms and pipelines, you play a crucial role in enhancing our operational efficiency and driving our mission forward.
🎯 Your responsibilities in this role
- Building and maintaining custom data pipelines.
- Enhancing our data platform.
- Developing and owning core tools, frameworks, and methodologies.
- Developing with an emphasis on scale, reusability, and simplicity.
- Complementing our data analysts by providing a reliable, secure, and maintainable modelling framework.
🔥 Must have job requirements
- You are experienced in building complex data pipelines using Python.
- Solid SQL expertise. Not only interacting with databases but also redesigning them to meet business needs.
- Experience of the AWS stack. You have some previous experience of working with the AWS toolset.
- Well-principled. Especially in the craft of Data Engineering – you will understand deeply: modularity, testability, extensibility, and scalability.
- Bias for action. You see a problem, you fix a problem. You get buy in for your solutions and keep tickets moving. We’re always looking for ways to ship at pace.
- Growth mindset. A willingness to use your skills and experience to up-skill and empower NALA colleagues. A desire to learn from others and make yourself better every day.
- Agile and flexible. You need to be excited about working in a fast-changing environment. Products, tools, frameworks and processes change, we EVOLVE and take the best bits with us. Hold strong opinions loosely and roll with the punches.
💪 Nice to have job requirements
- Experience with data warehousing solutions, preferably Snowflake
- Experience with orchestration solutions such as Airflow and Dagster
- Experience with Terraform
- Experience working in an early-stage start up
- Capable of managing a small team effectively
🎤 Interview Process
You will need to first submit your application through our ATS Workable.
If successful you will be selected for our interview process which has 4 stages:
- [30mins] Interview with the Talent Team
- In this stage we want to get to know you a bit more and follow up on your experience and motivations. The best preparation would be to really know why you applied for the role (i.e. your application questions)
- [1hour] Hiring Manager Interview
- [40mins] Technical Interview
- This will involve a technical coding challenge
- Leadership Interview(s)
- The final interview will involve speaking with the CEO, CTO and COO about your motivation for the role and will be a great opportunity to ask any questions you have about the business.
Due to the seniority and importance of this position, we will be also doing reference calls with your previous managers. We will share more information in the final stages of the interview process.
- 35 Days Off: Enjoy an amazing 35 days of holidays to unwind and explore.
- Birthday Leave: Celebrate your special day with a bonus day off to take off in that month
- Learning Budget: Fuel your growth with $1000 annually for learning and development.
- Enhanced Sick Pay: it’s important to take time to recover
- Enhanced Parental Leave: It’s the start of an amazing journey, take time to cherish priceless moments
- Hybrid Working:* We work 3 days a week in the office (Mon, Wed, Fri)
- Friday Breakky:** Start Fridays right with delicious breakfasts to boost your energy.
- Global Workspace:** Get access to WeWork locations worldwide.
- Monthly Socials:** Join fun social events every month for great times
- Free Coffee:** Enjoy barista-style coffee at your fingertips.
- Office Fun:** Play pool and table tennis when you need a break
- Company Offsites: Join us in our Nairobi office to meet the whole team
(*if based in the UK)
(**These perks apply to hybrid positions)