Head of People and Talent
💙 Our Mission
We are on a mission to increase economic opportunity for Africans globally. Why does our mission matter?
There are over 1.3 billion Africans in the world. Africa is the most expensive place to send money to and trade with.
Talent is everywhere but opportunity isn’t. How do we bridge this divide with a sense of purpose?
- Think about people living far away from their loved ones who are financially responsible and support them. Imagine how you would feel losing 8-9% of your money through fees. How do we reduce the cost of sending money home through technology?
- What about the future of work? Think about those young TikTok influencers in Uganda who make amazing content, but can’t get paid because they don’t have Visa or Mastercards yet have mobile money?
- What about the future for businesses? Think about those who are trying to do cross-border business from Africa outbound to the rest of the world? Why is it so hard to trade today? Why do people have to send money with other people physically or cash on planes? How much money and time is lost while doing this?
- What about the reliability of trade? When payments are delayed, that means business is disrupted. This costs everyone money. It loses us trust with customers.
NALA’s true impact will be measured by the opportunities we create for Africa to trade with the world and the world to trade with Africa.
🙌 Your Mission
As the Head of People & Talent, your mission is to care for the company, build a high performance culture and attract the best talent. Through proactive leadership, you will foster a culture that addresses the evolving needs of the organisation and motivates each team member to flourish both personally and professionally.
🎯 Your Responsibilities in this Role
- Stay updated on employment laws and regulations in the UK and Kenya, ensuring the organisation's compliance with all legal obligations.
- Manage the Employer of Record relationship with the global remote workforce, ensuring smooth onboarding, payroll, benefits administration, and compliance with local labor laws.
- Engage confidently with C-level executives, providing strategic insights and guidance on matters related to human resources and people management.
- Lead, mentor, and guide the People & Talent team in effective people management practices, fostering professional growth and high performance.
- Oversee project management and delivery of People initiatives, ensuring timely execution and alignment with organisational goals.
- Spearhead global salary benchmarking efforts to ensure competitive compensation structures across various locations.
- Administer equity programs, collaborating with relevant departments to ensure accurate distribution and reporting.
- Drive performance management processes, including goal setting, performance reviews, and development plans.
- Develop, review, and implement People policies that align with legal requirements and support a positive work environment.
- Spearhead internal communications related to People policies, initiatives, and culture, ensuring consistent and transparent information flow across the organisation.
- Drive the development and preservation of the company culture, focusing on values, diversity, inclusion, and employee engagement.
- Manage payroll processes, ensuring accuracy, compliance, and timely disbursement.
🔥 Job Requirements
- Previous involvement in startups or rapidly growing organizations, showcasing adaptability to dynamic environments.
- Proven experience and comprehensive understanding of employment laws and regulations in the UK.
- Strong track record of effectively engaging with C-level executives and providing strategic People insights.
- Significant experience in people management, showcasing leadership skills in guiding and developing People teams.
- In-depth knowledge of HR policy development and implementation, ensuring legal compliance and a positive work environment.
- Extensive experience in global salary benchmarking and compensation structuring.
- Proven ability to manage performance management processes, fostering employee growth and development.
💪 Nice to Haves
- Familiarity with Kenyan Employment Laws: Demonstrated familiarity with employment laws and regulations in Kenya, ensuring compliance with local labor requirements.
- Experience in Remote Workforce Management: Some experience in effectively managing a remote workforce using an Employer of Record approach, ensuring smooth operations and adherence to legal obligations.
- Data Proficiency: Comfort and proficiency in working with data, including the ability to derive insights from People metrics to support informed decision-making.
- Legal or International HR Qualifications: A legal background or international HR qualifications with a specialization in employment law, providing a strong foundation for navigating complex legal aspects.
- Tech Savviness: Exceptional comfort with technology, especially modern tools and automation systems used to facilitate global team management and streamline manual processes.
- Negotiation Skills: Ability to negotiate effectively, particularly in areas such as compensation packages, benefits, and vendor contracts.
- Outstanding Communication: Exceptional communication skills, including a talent for crafting impactful internal communications and actively contributing to the development of a positive organizational culture.
🎤 Interview Process
You will need to first submit your application through our ATS Workable. We ask 3 questions alongside your CV. There is no need to submit a Cover Letter.
- Based on this job description, why are you interested in this role?
- Based on this job description, what makes you a great fit for this role?
- How will this job help you on your own professional journey?
If successful you will be selected for our interview process which has 4 stages:
- [30mins] Interview with the Talent Team
- In this stage we want to get to know you a bit more and follow up on your experience and motivations. The best preparation would be to really know why you applied for the role (i.e. your application questions)
- [1hour] Interview with the People Manager
- In this stage, we want to get to know you and your experience deeply and we will focus closely on your experience as detailed on your CV. The best preparation is to just know what on your CV really well 👍
- [2x 30min Calls] Interview with People Manager and another senior team member
- The People Manager will go through a short exercise involving a fictitious task that could happen in the role.
- The senior team member will go through our company values and talk to you about your experience working in fast-paced environments
- [30mins] Leadership Interview
- The final interview will involve speaking with the CEO about your motivation for the role and will be a great opportunity to ask him any questions you have about the business.
Due to the seniority and importance of this position, we will be also doing reference calls with your previous managers. We will share more information in the final stages of the interview process.
- 35 Days Off: Enjoy an amazing 35 days of holidays to unwind and explore.
- Birthday Leave: Celebrate your special day with a bonus day off to take off in that month
- Learning Budget: Fuel your growth with $1000 annually for learning and development.
- Hybrid Working: We work 3 days a week in the office (Mon, Wed, Fri)
- Friday Breakky: Start Fridays right with delicious breakfasts to boost your energy.
- Global Workspace: Get access to WeWork locations worldwide.
- Monthly Socials: Join fun social events every month for great times
- Free Coffee: Enjoy barista-style coffee at your fingertips.
- Office Fun: Play pool and table tennis when you need a break
- Company Offsites: Join us in our Nairobi office to meet the whole team