Director of Account Management
We believe that Americans with limited income deserve modern, respectful, and effective experiences around their government benefits and money. Unfortunately, the status quo often fails to treat them as first-class citizens in their daily interactions around the social safety net and financial services. The tech industry hasn’t pulled its weight in solving the problems faced by low-income Americans.
Propel’s mission is to change that. We’ve built Providers, the single most popular app in the country built specifically for low-income Americans. Over 5 million families each month use Providers to seamlessly manage their government benefits (programs like SNAP, commonly known as food stamps), conduct their banking, and save and earn money. Providers has been recognized by the White House, featured on the front page of the NYTimes, and carries over 500,000 five star reviews.
Propel is a for-profit, venture-backed company that holds its social mission at its core. We’re proud to be supported by a blend of nonprofits, impact investors, and world-class investors, including the Robin Hood Foundation, Andreessen Horowitz, Nyca Partners, Financial Health Network, JPMorganChase, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
About this role
Our advertising business is growing and continues to be one of Propel’s primary mechanisms to deliver impact. Through highly-vetted partnerships, we help households access essential services and save money on everyday expenses. We’ve built an account management team that delivers high-performance campaigns aimed at helping Providers users save and earn money. Now, we’re searching for a leader to lead a team of Account Managers and Business Analysts while accelerating our revenue growth.
The Marketplace department is looking for a player-coach who is an expert seller and has successfully scaled customer-facing teams. As Director of the Account Management and Operations team, you’ll be our most senior and expert customer success leader, in addition to owning the management and strategy for the team. Your team is responsible for growing our existing partnerships, building and growing meaningful partnerships, and identifying opportunities for deeper product partnerships. This role will report to our General Manager, Marketplace.
As a leader in the company, you will contribute to the evolution of Propel’s product for our users, business partners, and to our organization, collaborating cross-functionally with other leaders and strengthening our culture and values.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- An immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- A remote-first working environment with headquarters in Brooklyn and satellite offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake City.
- Propel believes that everyone should be compensated fairly and equitably. We set our salary ranges using compensation data from hundreds of NYC based startups at our stage. Additionally, pay is not determined based on location. The salary range for this position is $175,000 - $205,000, depending on experience. A 10% discretionary bonus for team performance, equity and excellent benefits come with this position as well!
What you'll do:
- Lead, coach and manage our Account Management team to meet and exceed their individual goals related to onboarding and growing current and new partnerships
- Manage up to two high profile, high revenue generating accounts as needed
- Establish goals and metrics to measure individual and team performance
- Develop and implement a robust onboarding and learning and development programs to support the team in reaching the next level of excellence
- Work with the data and business operations teams to develop practices and processes to enable analytical problem-solving and data tools to advise customers on campaign setup, optimization & growth, as well as market strategies
- Develop and deliver account management reporting to leadership (growth, opportunity pipeline, forecast, performance, results, attrition, budget, risk)
- Share opportunities and trends in the market and be fully knowledgeable of competitive activities to regularly communicate information to the General Manager and Executive team
- Become a Subject Matter Expert on Propel’s products, business position, and our market
- Ensure partner information and activities are logged and accounted for in company CRM
- Create a fun, exciting, high-service culture internally and externally
What you have:
- 10+ years of account management experience, preferably in a high-growth start-up environment
- 4+ years of experience leading and managing an account management team with varying degrees of experience (junior to senior level)
- A proven self-starter comfortable navigating ambiguity
- A customer-focused mentality and passion for crafting a top-quality customer experience, and an ability to balance the needs of the customer with those of the business.
- Deep knowledge of customer success best practices and experience coaching others
- Demonstrated strategic approach and ability to identify opportunities, challenges, and risks and put in place appropriate measures to take advantage of or mitigate them
- Strong problem-solving and quantitative analytical skills
- Experience (preferred) or interest in the digital advertising industry
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Deep expertise navigating external customers and internal teams, experience working across functions, driving alignment and delivering results
- Passion for building a business with a strong social mission at the intersection of private and public sectors