Principal Software Development Engineer
At GoCardless we believe bank payments are the best way to pay and get paid. We also believe that bank account data is a powerful tool to make better, faster decisions. We’re making it easy to use both- for businesses everywhere.
GoCardless is used for domestic and international payments by 75,000+ organisations and counting, processing more than $30 billion across 30 countries. We’re an award-winning London based fintech, with additional offices in Riga, Paris and Melbourne.
You will provide engineering leadership for multiple teams, and you will be responsible for key technology decisions that affect the entire organisation.
You will lead the architecture, design and implementation of large and very complex systems, being hands-on as required. Your designs and architectures are high quality in terms of robustness, stability, scalability, simplicity and cost-effectiveness.
You will mentor and support others and help them progress from a career perspective.
You will be frequently consulted as an expert in hard technical challenges involving architecture, scalability, system-wide performance and engineering best practice.
You will continuously bring business context to key engineering decisions and help make the right trade-offs between the business requirements and the technical design considerations.
We endeavour to build simple, reliable systems and we believe in using the best technologies for each task. Across GoCardless, our other technologies include: Python, Golang, React, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, Prometheus, Google Cloud (GCP).
Proficiency in all of these technologies is not a prerequisite. If you’re unsure, please apply.
What excites you
- You're passionate about technology.
- You have experience building products for the web, and have an awareness of technologies across the stack.
- You care deeply about building reliable, well-tested systems.
- You enjoy solving problems and automating responses for recurrent issues.
- You thrive in a culture of code review.
- You possess a high level of proficiency in Python
What excites us
- You have played a key role in the design, implementation and deployment of several successful enterprise-level systems.
- You have had wide technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your knowledge and experience.
- You have played a key role in the career development of others, mentoring people on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of other team members.
We don’t expect you to meet every requirement. If you’re excited by this role, we encourage you to apply.
Salary range: EUR 6,720 - 8,140 gross monthly and performance bonuses
(some of) The good stuff
- Wellbeing - stay healthy with dedicated support and medical cover
- Work away scheme - you can apply to work away from your country of residence for up to 90 days in any 12 month period
- Adaptive Working - allows you to work flexibly, around your lifestyle
- Equity - all permanently employed GCs get equity to help you make a valuable contribution
- Parental leave - to suit everyone embarking on life's great adventure
- Time off - generous holiday allowance, + 3 annual volunteer days, + 4 annual business-wide wellness days (‘GC Fridays’)
Life at GoCardless
We're an organisation defined by our values; We start with why before we begin any project, to ensure it’s aligned with our mission. We make it happen, working with urgency and taking personal accountability for getting things done. We act with integrity, always. We care deeply about what we do and we know it's essential that we be humble whilst we do it. Our Values form part of the GoCardless DNA, and are used to not only help us nurture and develop our culture, but to deliver impactful work that will help us to achieve our vision.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re building the bank payment network of the future and our ambition is to move money anywhere, for anything, for anyone. If we’re going to achieve this goal, we need to build a team of ‘GeeCee’s’ that is as wonderfully diverse as the world we live in - with a multitude of perspectives, experiences & backgrounds.
We’ve got a long way to go, but here’s how we’re doing as of June 2023;
42% identify as women
28% identify as Black, Asian, Mixed or Other
9% identify as LGBTQIA+
9% identify as neurodiverse
2% identify as disabled
We’re rooting for you during your application and GoCardless aims to provide reasonable adjustments to make our recruitment process as remarkable and accessible as we can. Please speak to your Talent Partner if you need extra support.
We’re committed to reducing our impact on the environment, leaving a more sustainable world for future generations. In 2021 we became co-founders of the Tech Zero coalition, a group of businesses committed to taking climate action as part of the UNFCCC Race to Zero. We aim to reduce our impact and to create positive change on the natural world. Check out our sustainability action plan here.