Business Intelligence Engineer
At GoCardless we believe bank payments are the best way to pay and get paid. We also believe that bank account data is a powerful tool to make better, faster decisions. We’re making it easy to use both- for businesses everywhere.
GoCardless is used for domestic and international payments by 75,000+ organisations and counting, processing more than $30 billion across 30 countries. We’re an award-winning London based fintech, with additional offices in Riga, Paris and Melbourne.
We are looking for experienced Business Intelligence Engineers to help support our growing business and build out our data capabilities. You will be working with the BI Engineering team to define and build GoCardless’s core data models which provide the foundations for BI excellence and downstream data-hungry teams and tools. You’ll create the underpinning models that enable deep insight into a fast-growing business and do so with scale and resilience in mind from day one. You’ll help people in all areas of GoCardless make better, faster, more data-driven decisions and develop an expert knowledge of all areas of our operation.
You’ll sit in our Product Development division and will work with technical and non-technical people across the whole company. You’ll collaborate closely with our team of talented BI Analysts, designing and implementing the foundations they need to provide first-class analysis to the business.
Tech stack and tools:
Python, Looker, Google Cloud Platform, and BigQuery amongst others
The main elements of this role will involve:
- Developing coherent and performant data models that transform large, complex and disparate datasets into explorable, understandable and accurate data products
- Building end-to-end BI solutions from ETL through to data modelling and on to front-end dashboards
- Collaborating with engineers to prototype, design and build pipelines that take raw data from production systems and deliver them in a format suitable for analytic workloads
- Supporting people across the company to enable them to self-serve Business Intelligence through BI tools - we’re using dbt and Looker at GoCardless.
- Building BI tooling that fully leverages the capabilities of Google Cloud Platform and BigQuery
- Collaborating with BI Analysts and other data teams to create a data architecture that powers their deep-dive analysis to both test specific hypotheses and generate new business insights
- Collaborating with our team of Data Infrastructure Engineers to design and implement ingestion pipelines for new data sources, leveraging their tooling to expand the breadth of the GoCardless data warehouse
What excites you
- You can point to a solid track record as a developer of first class data tooling
- You’re a self-starter - you take initiative in spotting opportunities and finding ways to solve problems with data
- You’re used to sharing your technical work in a clear way to others around you
- You can turn complex business requirements into scalable, robust, explorable data products
- You’re good at quickly getting a grasp of any dataset that you’re working with
- You’ll be able to demonstrate how you have automated repetitive tasks and built robust ETL pipelines
What excites us
- You have excellent SQL skills and experience of scripting languages like Python
- Experience with Big Data technologies (e.g. BigQuery, Snowflake) and working with data at a significant scale
- You have a firm grasp of self-serve data tools like Looker, Tableau or similar. We’re using Looker at GoCardless.
- You have experience working in an agile environment at a pace
- You can communicate your work clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences
- You are as comfortable sourcing data from third party APIs as you are with discussing data modelling approaches
Salary Range: €2600 - €3700 monthly (Gross)
We don’t expect you to meet every requirement. If you’re excited by this role, we encourage you to apply.
(some of) The good stuff
- Wellbeing - stay healthy with dedicated support and medical cover
- Work away scheme - you can apply to work away from your country of residence for up to 90 days in any 12 month period
- Adaptive Working - allows you to work flexibly, around your lifestyle
- Equity - all permanently employed GCs get equity to help you make a valuable contribution
- Parental leave - to suit everyone embarking on life's great adventure
- Time off - generous holiday allowance, + 3 annual volunteer days, + 4 annual business-wide wellness days (‘GC Fridays’)
Life at GoCardless
We're an organisation defined by our values; We start with why before we begin any project, to ensure it’s aligned with our mission. We make it happen, working with urgency and taking personal accountability for getting things done. We act with integrity, always. We care deeply about what we do and we know it's essential that we be humble whilst we do it. Our Values form part of the GoCardless DNA, and are used to not only help us nurture and develop our culture, but to deliver impactful work that will help us to achieve our vision.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re building the bank payment network of the future and our ambition is to move money anywhere, for anything, for anyone. If we’re going to achieve this goal, we need to build a team of ‘GeeCee’s’ that is as wonderfully diverse as the world we live in - with a multitude of perspectives, experiences & backgrounds.
We’ve got a long way to go, but here’s how we’re doing as of June 2023;
42% identify as women
28% identify as Black, Asian, Mixed or Other
9% identify as LGBTQIA+
9% identify as neurodiverse
2% identify as disabled
We’re rooting for you during your application and GoCardless aims to provide reasonable adjustments to make our recruitment process as remarkable and accessible as we can. Please speak to your Talent Partner if you need extra support.
We’re committed to reducing our impact on the environment, leaving a more sustainable world for future generations. In 2021 we became co-founders of the Tech Zero coalition, a group of businesses committed to taking climate action as part of the UNFCCC Race to Zero. We aim to reduce our impact and to create positive change on the natural world. Check out our sustainability action plan here.