Software Development Engineer
At GoCardless we believe bank payments are the best way to pay and get paid. We also believe that bank account data is a powerful tool to make better, faster decisions. We’re making it easy to use both- for businesses everywhere.
GoCardless is used for domestic and international payments by 75,000+ organisations and counting, processing more than $30 billion across 30 countries. We’re an award-winning London based fintech, with additional offices in Riga, Paris and Melbourne.
As a software engineer in the Internal Risk Group, you will be responsible for building solutions that help GC understand and mitigate any risk posed by the merchants we serve and unlock compliant growth, with minimal frictions for onboarding new merchants. We do it by gathering various data points both internally and externally and process them to feed them to ML models and also external toolings to create alerts when there are any adverse events and thus that are handled by various operational teams.
Tech stack and tools:
Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, BigQuery, and Google Cloud Storage.
Across GoCardless, our other technologies include: Golang, Python, React, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, Prometheus, Google Cloud (GCP)
What excites you
- Building tools and integrating solutions to fight bad actors and helping protect GoCardless.
- Working along with Data Scientists/BI Engineers, building data pipelines, backend APIs and predictive engines for turning large volumes of raw data into actionable insights.
- Working on problems affecting multiple teams and internal stakeholders like Risk and Finance organisations.
- Building a smarter organisation by automating manual processes and jobs, to do more and move faster.
- Transforming our systems to serve more customers and unlock new markets.
What excites us
- Strong background in backend technologies like Ruby on rails, Python, SQL, APIs
- Strong software development and design skills, ability to navigate complex code blocks and ambiguity while working with different teams.
- Good understanding of Financial Risk domain - Fraud, AML, Credit, Compliance
- Great team player, with ability to work well across teams and attitude to learn fast and do more.
We don’t expect you to meet every requirement. If you’re excited by this role, we encourage you to apply.
Salary: 5,600 - 7,590 eur/gross
(some of) The good stuff
- Wellbeing - stay healthy with dedicated support and medical cover
- Work away scheme - you can apply to work away from your country of residence for up to 90 days in any 12 month period
- Adaptive Working - allows you to work flexibly, around your lifestyle
- Equity - all permanently employed GCs get equity to help you make a valuable contribution
- Parental leave - to suit everyone embarking on life's great adventure
- Time off - generous holiday allowance, + 3 annual volunteer days, + 4 annual business-wide wellness days (‘GC Fridays’)
Life at GoCardless
We're an organisation defined by our values; We start with why before we begin any project, to ensure it’s aligned with our mission. We act with integrity, always. We care deeply about what we do and we know it's essential that we be humble whilst we do it. Working this way creates the GC magic- the reason we all love showing up to work.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re building the bank payment network of the future and our ambition is to move money anywhere, for anything, for anyone. If we’re going to achieve this goal, we need to build a team of ‘GeeCee’s’ that is as wonderfully diverse as the world we live in - with a multitude of perspectives, experiences & backgrounds.
We’ve got a long way to go, but here’s how we’re doing as of June 2023;
42% identify as women
28% identify as Black, Asian, Mixed or Other
9% identify as LGBTQIA+
9% identify as neurodiverse
2% identify as disabled
We’re rooting for you during your application and GoCardless aims to provide reasonable adjustments to make our recruitment process as remarkable and accessible as we can. Please speak to your Talent Partner if you need extra support.
We’re committed to reducing our impact on the environment, leaving a more sustainable world for future generations. In 2021 we became co-founders of the Tech Zero coalition, a group of businesses committed to taking climate action as part of the UNFCCC Race to Zero. We aim to reduce our impact and to create positive change on the natural world. Check out our sustainability action plan here.