Deputy General Counsel
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a global crypto and Web3 platform founded by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss in 2014. Gemini offers a wide range of crypto products and services for individuals and institutions in over 70 countries.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Legal
The Legal department at Gemini is making history every day, as we creatively apply the legacy of law to the future of digital assets. On this team, you will tackle complex and unprecedented applications of the current legal system to the revolutionary industry of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. At Gemini, Legal plays a critical role in guiding innovation and driving value for the business, while upholding our core tenets of security, compliance, and trust for our customers. Join us and help define the Legal Department of the Future.
The Role: Deputy General Counsel
As Deputy General Counsel at Gemini, you are a leader of leaders with visibility into the overall GC function. Leveraging both breadth and depth of experience at a law firm and/or as in-house counsel, you will help Gemini maintain a nimble, innovative legal organization tasked with tackling the complex legal challenges that confront a disruptive emerging asset class. By navigating unprecedented legal complexities across Business Development, Finance and Accounting, People Operations, Tax, Technology and Security, you’ll play a critical role in building our business at the forefront of the future of money.
- Own a big portion of the general counsel’s responsibilities for Gemini’s business globally
- Serve as the lead point of contact for Gemini’s senior management across regions
- Lead engagements with regulators and other governmental stakeholders globally
- Advise Gemini on global privacy and data processing issues that arise in the ordinary course of business and help ensure that Gemini’s privacy program evolves in line with global regulatory requirements
- Manage projects effectively and collaboratively with teams located in multiple jurisdictions
- Lead and further build out the legal team, while developing and maintaining related policies, processes, and templates
- Build positive and influential relationships with Gemini Leadership and cross-functional partners, evangelizing the Legal team’s expertise and services across the company
- Collaborate with and support the General Counsel and the rest of the Legal team to evaluate and communicate legal risks to internal stakeholders and external parties
- Champion for the Legal team’s expertise and build reliance on the Legal team across the company
- JD degree
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant legal experience in regulated environments
- Fluency in English
- Strong knowledge of and interest in disruptive technology, financial services, or security; prior experience working in fintech, digital assets or high-growth tech companies a plus
- Proven ability to proactively, efficiently, and accurately assess legal business risks in a fast-paced environment
- Track record of creative problem-solving, excellent written and oral communication skills, and creation of strong and trusted cross-functional relationships
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $276,000 - $415,000 in the State of New York, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.