Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a global crypto and Web3 platform founded by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss in 2014. Gemini offers a wide range of crypto products and services for individuals and institutions in over 70 countries.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Finance
The Financial Operations and Accounting Teams at Gemini are thought leaders in the digital asset accounting and reconciliation space. Our mandate is to bridge the traditional world of finance with the innovation of cryptocurrency products, providing our clients with a best-in-class financial institution experience.
The Role: Director, Financial Controller
Gemini is looking to hire a Director, Financial Controller. Joining a rapidly growing and high quality, established digital asset exchange that is regulated by the New York State Department of Financial Services, this appointment will be central to our continued scaling as an organization.
- Lead all financial statement preparation, presentation, and retention, along with financial planning and analysis, budget forecasting and re-forecasting.
- Maintain all ledger reconciliations, capital computations, audit support, bookkeeping, and accounting due diligence.
- Submit all required financial reporting deliverables to various regulators by prescribed deadlines.
- Establish and maintain financial policies and procedures and internal business controls that ensure sustainable and profitable business growth.
- Manage a team of Global Financial Operations professionals across Accounting and AP/AR functions.
- Manage key external relationships with audit professionals, consultants, and tax advisors.
- Develop strategies for compliance with emerging accounting and tax rule changes and guidance from oversight bodies.
- Advise on strategic client and equity partnerships with a focus on long-term deal analysis, forecasting, business planning, and critical risks.
- Translate financial analysis into actionable insights for strategic planning, cash flow management, financing and Board meetings.
- Assure timely and accurate financial closing processes including overall responsibility for completion of weekly and monthly closes, along with quarterly and annual audits.
- Facilitate operational tax strategies and foreign currency exchange rate strategies.
- Oversee outsourced financial activities to Gemini affiliates and any sub-outsourcing to other third party service providers, ensuring services are provided in accordance with the respective regulatory requirements and internal policies, processes and procedures and agreed service level agreements.
- Evaluate and improve processes and systems to promote operational excellence.
- Manage a team of Financial Operations professionals across Accounting functions.
- An undergraduate degree in accounting, economics, finance or related field. An advanced graduate degree is a plus.
- 15+ years work experience in accounting. Big 4 accounting firm experience is a plus.
- CPA (or equivalent license).
- Previous Finance experience in a regulated industry preferably financial services will be advantageous. Highly value experience managing numerous competing regulatory reporting deliverables.
- Proven experience gained within a relevant, regulated financial services organization and a strong understanding of relevant products and services, including current knowledge of their regulatory financial requirements.
- Proven track record of leading Finance teams, managing performance, and improving knowledge/skills of team members.
- Ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced and changing financial environment with the demonstrated capacity for excellent judgment, communication, and negotiation skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and relationship building abilities.
- Experience with enhancing and scaling financial accounting software.
- Has an understanding of GAAP and maintains industry related technical expertise.
- Data-driven leadership skills with a multi-layered understanding of the economics and drivers for a growth-oriented business.
- The ability to design the work processes, plans, KPIs, and incentive schemes for the team to deliver on department and company goals.
- Experience with debt and equity financing, and M&A transactions would be a plus, to include managing the capital structures of a company in the fintech/crypto space (equity, debt, capital requirements, etc.).
- The ideal candidate will have a regulatory financial background, but in any event, he/she will possess a proven track record of successfully advising, influencing and representing an international company with complex regulatory, financial and legal matters.
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $182,000 - $254,000 in the State of New York, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.