Senior Application Security Engineer
About the Company
Gemini is a global crypto and Web3 platform founded by Tyler Winklevoss and Cameron Winklevoss in 2014. Gemini offers a wide range of crypto products and services for individuals and institutions in over 70 countries.
Our flagship product, the Gemini Exchange, was built to be a compliant and secure platform to buy, sell, and store crypto. Our suite of retail products includes ActiveTrader, a high-performance platform for advanced traders. Gemini also offers the Gemini Credit Card providing real-time crypto rewards, the Gemini dollar (GUSD), a U.S. dollar-backed stablecoin, and Gemini Staking, allowing users to securely stake their tokens on-chain and receive rewards. Nifty Gateway, Gemini's NFT platform, is the world's premier marketplace for NFTs and digital art.
Gemini customers also have access to a wide range of institutional products tailor-made for high-net-worth individuals, asset and wealth managers, and hedge funds and liquidity providers seeking exposure to crypto. Customers looking to place large orders can use Gemini eOTC, a fully-electronic over-the-counter trading platform built for high-value bulk orders. For wealth management professionals, we offer a unique destination for their clients’ crypto portfolios from a single platform, and we enable fully electronic clearing and settlement of off-exchange crypto trades.
The Department: Information Security
In the emerging industry of digital assets, there is nothing more important than trust. The Gemini security team forms the backbone of trust. In fact, Gemini’s very first hires were security specialists and we continue to tackle unique challenges in the crypto space. Our team ensures that our customers, clients, and employees are safe, secure, and supported.
The Role: Senior Application Security Engineer
As a member of the Application Security (AppSec) team, you will share in the responsibility of protecting the company and our customers against application security threats. The AppSec team is focused on the advancement of modern application security practices and supports the engineering organization by finding, fixing, and preventing software security vulnerabilities.
As a Senior Application Security Engineer on the Application Security team’s Product Security group, you will work closely with engineering and product teams to provide security recommendations and identify security issues throughout the software development lifecycle. This includes secure design reviews, threat modeling, secure code review, and penetration testing among other activities.
- Support the Gemini Secure Software Development Lifecycle as an application security subject matter expert through design review, threat modeling, code review, and penetration testing
- Collaborate and advise engineering teams on application security best practices and vulnerability remediation
- Perform deep-dive security reviews to ensure all Gemini products and services follow secure design principles across our product portfolio (web, mobile, and APIs)
- Develop tools and research to scale the Product Security team
- Create and deliver hands-on software security training to engineering teams to increase security awareness
- Participate in the Application Security on-call rotation to support engineering teams during incidents
- Role activities:
- Manual source code review
- Penetration testing
- Design and implementation review
- Threat modeling
- Design and implementation consultation
- Continuous assurance activities
- Risk identification and categorization / management
- Engineering education and engagement
- 5+ years of experience in application security or similar roles
- Ability to perform design reviews, threat modeling, secure code reviews, or penetration testing with an attacker mindset
- Strong background in application security best practices and familiarity with common vulnerabilities (e.g. SSRF, race conditions, privilege escalations, etc.)
- Familiarity with and ability to understand business objectives, business context, and security risk
- Strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate on a cross-functional team
- Experience with microservice architectures
- Experience with cloud-native environments
- Experience with preventing application security vulnerabilities through secure design patterns, automated tooling, or frameworks
- Competitive base salary
- Discretionary annual bonus
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.