Money Laundering Reporting Officer
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a global crypto and Web3 platform founded by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss in 2014. Gemini offers a wide range of crypto products and services for individuals and institutions in over 70 countries.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Compliance
Compliance at Gemini is a team dedicated to managing the next generation of financial and regulatory compliance in a complex and evolving regulatory environment. We are a diverse group of technology, legal, risk and operational professionals who develop new approaches to solving classic problems using cutting edge tools and processes.
The Role: Money Laundering Reporting Officer
Gemini is looking for a leader who is organised, detail-oriented and eager to contribute to a world-class Compliance team. We seek a motivated individual with a drive to lead the charge on all things financial crime for Gemini UK’s growing business.
This individual will be the nominated Money Laundering Reporting Officer for Gemini’s UK-based authorised Electronic Money Institution as well as the registered cryptoasset business. They will need to have an expert understanding of money laundering regulations and guidance as well as a strong understanding of the cryptocurrency industry.
Gemini’s Compliance team is constantly evolving and developing new operations and controls. In this role, you will contribute to that development by rolling up your sleeves and building the future of money, while being an integral part of a best-in-class Compliance department.
- Act as the nominated MLRO for Gemini UK’s EMI and the registered cryptoasset business as an EMD and MLR Individual
- Lead on all aspects of core compliance including AML/CTF/PF as well as sanctions and anti-bribery and corruption
- Maintain effective oversight over all financial crime processes, including outsourced processes
- Ensure all applicable policies and procedures are in place, updated in line with legislative requirements and industry guidance and approved by Senior Management / Board as necessary
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a strong compliance culture
- Enhance existing financial crime processes and controls and advise on the implementation of new controls that reflect changing business and regulatory requirements
- Maintain a robust business-wide risk assessment methodology and perform the risk assessment on an at least annual basis, including an assessment of the effectiveness of controls
- Ensure prompt investigation of internal suspicious activity reports (SARs) and ensure the timely submission of external SARs
- Maintain relationships with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and other regulatory bodies as appropriate and promptly respond to any requests for information
- Maintain relationships with law enforcement agencies and respond to requests for information in a timely manner
- Submit regulatory reports to the FCA
- Perform horizon scanning for new and upcoming changes to regulatory requirements impacting Gemini UK’s financial crime processes
- Ensure Gemini meets all new regulatory requirements - including translating new regulations into understandable business requirements, working with Change Management / Group Functions to ensure delivery of any new requirements to ensure compliance
- Report regularly to the senior management team and the Board on emerging compliance and AML issues, including an annual report to the Board
- Deliver compliance training to global teams and ensure that the standards and scope of all training is appropriate
- Manage internal and external audits of Gemini UK’s AML/CTF and sanctions framework
- BA/BSc/LLB degree or international equivalent
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the UK financial services industry and regulatory regime with a focus on AML/CTF compliance
- At least one previous MLRO role held
- Experience working in a crypto, payments or FinTech firm preferred
- Additional compliance qualifications preferred (e.g. International Compliance Association or ACAMS)
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills with a strong attention to detail
- Experienced in working collaboratively across different teams and departments
- Good organisational skills and time management
- Flexible mindset and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and assist in various compliance functions as needed
- Flexibility working across multiple projects and tasks in a fast-growth environment
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.