Principal Software Engineer, Marketplace
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a global crypto and Web3 platform founded by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss in 2014. Gemini offers a wide range of crypto products and services for individuals and institutions in over 70 countries.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Marketplace
The Role: Principal Software Engineer
At the Principal level, engineers are expected to master their immediate domain and have broad impact across other engineering teams. This person will define technical direction, unblock and mentor teammates, and tackle the most complex system and architectural challenges. Principal engineers are distinguished by their organization-level impact and focus on high-leverage activity, in addition to direct code contribution. Beyond pure technical focus, Principals bridge the gap between management and engineering - they obsess over not only the how, but also what and why, and are able to disseminate this context to both audiences, up-leveling the entire organization in depth and delivery.
- Influencing leadership / CTO organization and collaborate with other Principal Engineers across the organization to build the right software architecture for Gemini.
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain services supporting multiple engineering teams.
- Advocate and model technical and operational excellence.
- Drive large cross-group technical initiatives.
- Set long-term technical strategy for services within and adjacent to primary domain.
- Review, validate and provide feedback on technical design documents.
- Perform thorough code reviews to ensure quality and up-level peers.
- 8-10 years software development experience. We primarily use Scala.
- 5 years in-depth experience with distributed systems or cloud computing. We primarily use AWS native technologies.
- Significant experience with configuration management and infrastructure as code. We often use Terraform and Ansible.
- Experience building and owning low-latency, high-availability critical systems or cloud-based services.
- Experience defining, managing, and executing a portfolio of complex engineering projects.
- Expertise in event-driven architecture.
- Expertise in instrumentation, observability and monitoring.
- Experience with container and orchestration technologies and relevant security considerations. We often use Kubernetes and EKS.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Health, Vision and Dental insurance covered at 100% for employees and dependents
- At least 12 weeks paid Parental Leave
- Flexible Time Off
- Business Travel Medical Insurance
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.