Staff Site Reliability Engineer
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a global crypto and Web3 platform founded by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss in 2014. Gemini offers a wide range of crypto products and services for individuals and institutions in over 70 countries.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Crypto Core
The Role: Staff Site Reliability Engineer
The infrastructure team at Gemini creates and manages tools and platforms, automates the creation and support of this infrastructure, and helps integrate complex processes, and supports secure data access.
Security of customers’ digital assets and personal information held with Gemini is our first and foremost priority. The infrastructure team builds and operates environments for the purpose of digital asset access. There are three main pillars of work including building and running network nodes, building and running validators, and supporting our next generation wallet infrastructure. While this role will support all three focus areas, a particular focus will be on this next generation wallet infrastructure.
In our work, we use and implement tools and software to support our cloud-based infrastructure. Given the need to build and integrate more of our software in the cloud, the ideal engineer will have extensive experience in automating and building out cloud-based software (e.g., AWS or GCP), preferably with experience in using security mechanisms (e.g., Google KMS or AWS Nitro). This engineer will also work closely with various teams including various teams such as Product Security, Protocols, On-chain, and Custody.
We are a dynamic group with both entrepreneurial spirit and security engineering experience. We have incredibly high aspirations, and we are looking for like-minded individuals who want to guide the transition to a new more decentralized world where access to digital assets is normalized and ubiquitous.
- Design, build, and deploy infrastructure in our three areas of focus 1) building and running network nodes, 2) building and running validators, and 3) building and running our next generation wallet infrastructure
- Develop tools and automation that integrate these systems in a secure way
- With a focus on our next generation wallet infrastructure, improve the capabilities of the existing infrastructure with a mindset towards infrastructure as code
- Improve availability and reliability while maintaining acceptable security
- Integrate the use of cloud-based security mechanisms into the build infrastructure. Example security mechanisms include identity and access management and key management
- Participate in disaster recovery (DR) scenarios to validate operability of physical and digital material
- 5+ years implementing cloud software while building “infrastructure as code”
- Hands-on experience in at least one or more cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, GCP, Azure, or others)
- Hands-on expertise with one or more of the following including ansible, puppet, docker, KMS, IAM, jenkins
- Experience implementing software automation processes applied in a cloud environment
- Proficiency in a common scripting language including but not limited to Python, Ruby, etc.
- Able to troubleshoot and debug issues, and demonstrate a methodical approach to root cause analysis
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; attention to detail
- Previous experience in one of the three focus areas of blockchain node operations, validators as a service, and wallet infrastructure
- 2+ years implementing software with security primitives
- 2+ years implementing software in AWS
- 1+ years using monitoring, alerting, and automation tooling
- Strong understanding of systems/network security, secure protocol design, secure build and supply chain management, encryption, authentication, key management and applied cryptography
- Experience in a code-first environment, developing automated solutions to solve support and operational issues
- Experience working with engineering teams, teaching, training, and mentoring on how to implement best-practice technical solutions
- Experience with secure build software infrastructure that makes use of a trusted platform module (TPM), hardware security module (HSM), trusted execution environment (TEE), smartcard, and/or other similar hardware key storage mechanism
- Experience implementing software in any of the following: operating systems, kernel development, or cryptographic hardware (PKCS#11, FIPS 201-1 PIV, smartcards, TPMs, HSMs, or TEEs)
- Ability to read and write code written in Python, Java, Scala, C/C++, and Golang
- Demonstrated ability to convert theoretical security concepts into production
- Solid understanding of Product Management and Product Ownership, Agile practices and methodologies
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $172,000 - $241,000 in the State of New York, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.