Backend Engineer, Payments
About the Company
Gemini is a global crypto and Web3 platform founded by Tyler Winklevoss and Cameron Winklevoss in 2014. Gemini offers a wide range of crypto products and services for individuals and institutions in over 70 countries.
Our flagship product, the Gemini Exchange, was built to be a compliant and secure platform to buy, sell, and store crypto. Our suite of retail products includes ActiveTrader, a high-performance platform for advanced traders. Gemini also offers the Gemini Credit Card providing real-time crypto rewards, the Gemini dollar (GUSD), a U.S. dollar-backed stablecoin, and Gemini Staking, allowing users to securely stake their tokens on-chain and receive rewards. Nifty Gateway, Gemini's NFT platform, is the world's premier marketplace for NFTs and digital art.
Gemini customers also have access to a wide range of institutional products tailor-made for high-net-worth individuals, asset and wealth managers, and hedge funds and liquidity providers seeking exposure to crypto. Customers looking to place large orders can use Gemini eOTC, a fully-electronic over-the-counter trading platform built for high-value bulk orders. For wealth management professionals, we offer a unique destination for their clients’ crypto portfolios from a single platform, and we enable fully electronic clearing and settlement of off-exchange crypto trades.
The Department: Payments
The Role: Backend Engineer
As a Backend Engineer, you’ll help solve complex problems that will directly influence the direction of the digital asset space. We are a team of self-starters, self-driven owners. There’s a wide range of problems to solve at Gemini – from properly securing millions of dollars worth of customer funds, to developing innovative new blockchain products, to building highly-available and high-scale systems on the cloud, to building anomaly detection models to identify risky behavior. We have a strong culture of code reviews, and a focus on security, with the end goal of writing and shipping high-quality code by getting things right the first time. We want to continue building the best product we can as we scale and grow our business. If you get excited about solving technical challenges that directly impact our customers, clients, and the rest of the Gemini team, we’d love to hear from you.
- Develop new products and product features on the Gemini platform, as part of a tight knit team of about eight developers, as well document designs.
- Own the DevOps lifecycle for a product; building, validating and maintaining high quality products through its lifetime.
- Provide technical input and knowledge to the planning, design, and requirements process for new products and features.
- Author high quality code, and review other software engineers’ code for correctness, style, and information security concerns.
- Improve the performance, maintainability, and operations of the Gemini code base by engaging in occasional refactoring and upgrade projects.
- At least 6 years of software engineering experience.
- Building micro-services in the cloud (AWS, Azure etc) and building high-available services at scale.
- Advanced proficiency in at least one programming language like Java, Rust, C++, Scala. We use mostly Scala and C++ on our backend – it’s great if you’re comfortable in those or if you’re willing to learn.
- The ability to work closely across teams (and time-zones) and manage dependencies.
- A customer and product-focused mindset, with the ability to make well-reasoned tradeoffs between speed and quality.
- The ability to adapt and handle multiple competing priorities in collaboration with peers.
- Work experience or knowledge of the finance industry, payments, trading and/or exchange systems.
- Competitive base salary
- Discretionary annual bonus
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.