Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Legal
The Legal department at Gemini is making history every day, as we creatively apply the legacy of law to the future of digital assets. On this team, you will tackle complex and unprecedented applications of the current legal system to the revolutionary industry of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. At Gemini, Legal plays a critical role in guiding innovation and driving value for the business, while upholding our core tenets of security, compliance, and trust for our customers. Join us and help define the Legal Department of the Future.
The Role: Counsel
As Counsel at Gemini, you are the ultimate writer and negotiator who has an interest in growing into multiple areas of law. Leveraging both experience at a law firm and/or as in-house counsel, you will draft, revise, evaluate and negotiate strategic partnership, financial institution, licensing, consulting, marketing, non-disclosure, and other financial, commercial, technology, and vendor agreements. You will also help Gemini continue to scale a nimble and efficient legal agreement work flow tasked with addressing and tackling the complex contractual challenges that confront a disruptive emerging asset class. You are the ultimate legal athlete, with opportunities to help Gemini with various legal issues arising in areas, such as corporate governance, intellectual property, privacy, litigation, employment or regulatory matters. By working closely with Gemini’s Business Development, Finance and Accounting, and Supplier Relations teams, you’ll play a critical role in building our business at the forefront of the future of money.
- Draft, evaluate, and negotiate a wide variety of contractual agreements, such as NDAs, master services agreements, vendor, SOWs, data license agreements.
- Assist business development colleagues with responding to requests for proposals.
- Provide risk-weighted advice to business principals that succinctly balances commercial upside against corresponding legal, financial, operational, and reputational risk.
- Assist with drafting playbooks, macros, and building processes for deploying legal advice efficiently.
- Develop and scale efficient contract workflow for Gemini Trust Company and the broader Gemini group, including coordination of relevant internal stakeholders and external providers.
- Establish standard templates and negotiation matrices to support Gemini’s growing commercial contracting needs.
- Manage projects effectively and collaboratively.
- Build positive and influential relationships with Gemini Leadership and cross-functional partners, evangelizing the Legal team’s expertise and services across the company.
- Collaborate with and support the Legal team to evaluate and communicate legal risks to internal stakeholders and external parties.
- JD degree.
- 4+ years of relevant legal experience at a law firm or in-house.
- Fluency in English.
- Strong knowledge of and interest in disruptive technology, financial services, or security; prior experience working in fintech, digital assets or high-growth tech companies a plus.
- Proven ability to proactively, efficiently, and accurately assess legal business risks in a fast-paced environment.
- Previous experience or strong interest in handling privacy issues a plus.
- Interest or experience in corporate governance, intellectual property, litigation, employment or regulatory matters.
- Track record of creative problem-solving, excellent written and oral communication skills, and creation of strong and trusted cross-functional relationships.
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $158,000 - $221,000 in New York City, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.