Senior Software Engineer
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Nifty Gateway
Nifty Gateway is the premiere, all-in-one platform that makes it easy to buy, sell, and store digital art and collectibles, otherwise known as NFTs. Nifty Gateway was founded by Duncan and Griffin Cock Foster in 2018, and acquired by Gemini in 2019, with the belief that crypto networks and the blockchain have the power to fundamentally change the art world by creating greater choice, independence, and opportunity for artists, creators, and collectors.
The Role: Senior Software Engineer (Frontend)
As we are building out Nifty's engineering team, we're looking for you to work wherever you can contribute the most on the Nifty Gateway codebase. You’ll get the opportunity to build out the frontier of an emerging field and build tools for some of the pieces that go on to be enormously popular in the digital collectible space! This is a very hands-on role where you'll work with smart, creative people to build the foundation of Nifty Gateway! An ideal candidate will have a strong aptitude for identifying opportunities to improve user experience, robust experience translating design frameworks into code to improve user-facing applications, and a proactive desire to collaborate with fellow developers, designers, and marketing managers to present a shared artistic vision.
- You will help refactor and maintain our core systems to prepare them to scale.
- Develop features and improvements to the Nifty product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way that allows the platform to adapt and grow.
- Understand our core business objectives, then ideate and implement new features that will help us achieve our exciting goals to grow our customer base.
- Troubleshoot technical issues by leveraging your deep understanding of the systems and experience with technologies we leverage.
- Work collaboratively with other team members to build greenfield portions of the app.
- Help define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Provide mentorship for Junior and Intermediate Engineers in your section to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers.
- Develop and maintain front end functionality in collaboration with our marketing teams.
- A strong understanding of UX/UI concepts and interface usability with a demonstrated record of good design flow in interactive applications.
- Strong experience with React & Typescript.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment.
- You can write secure code that works quickly and efficiently.
- A customer-focused and product-focused mindset. You’re interested in using the right tool for the job and you understand, and can speak to, the “Why” behind your choices.
- You can operate independently, be detail oriented, and deliver results in an organized manner.
- Ability to drive end-to-end features and lead projects autonomously.
- Experience using Git in a professional/workplace environment.
- A solid understanding in core web and browser concepts.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions.
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset.
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- An interest in and general understanding of art, fashion, sports, e-sports and/or collectibles industries.
- Knowledge in Solidity, Python & Web3.py, among other tools will be added value, but not required.
- Basic understanding of blockchain technology, including the Ethereum blockchain and smart contracts.
- Familiarity and interest with NFTs and digital collectibles as a product.
- Knowledge of NFTs and Ethereum protocols is also hugely helpful.
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $152,000 - $213,000 in New York City, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.
Something looks off?