Senior Associate, Market Risk
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Risk
Protection - for our clients and our company - forms the linchpin of our business at Gemini. Our Risk department plays a critical role in proactively identifying, mitigating, and managing the firm’s exposure, both internally and externally. Leveraging data, engineering, and intellectual horsepower, our Risk team is building a robust second line of defense in a first-of-its kind industry; our goal: safeguard Gemini so that we can continue to revolutionize the future of money.
The Role: Senior Associate, Market Risk
Gemini is looking for a Senior Quantitative Risk Associate to be part of the risk management function. The risk management function works closely with various teams across Gemini including products, trading, operations, engineering, compliance and audit to manage inherent risks in processes of the Company. We are looking for someone who can bring risk management and technical expertise while at the same time a critical, quantitative and hands-on approach to manage market risk of Gemini. The role will require to implement technical solutions for real-time risk monitoring and recommend risk mitigation actions. The role provides an exciting opportunity to understand and build risk infrastructure of an evolving asset class and products. The role will provide an opportunity to challenge the most fundamental risk management principles and implement solutions which suit the new and evolving asset class with beginner's mindset. To excel in this role, the individual will use his/ her experience, analytical skills and
technical ability to add value to the organization.
- Design and improve existing risk frameworks which includes identification, assessment, monitoring and reporting of key risk exposures in various existing and new financial products
- Collaborate with the technologies team to build risk infrastructure to monitor intraday and overnight market risk exposure at portfolio and single-product level and highlight these risks to management as needed
- Lead the development of quantitative tools for monitoring, reporting and simulating risk exposure to exchange traded and OTC structured products
- Build sophisticated and flexible margin systems to support complex derivatives
- Lead the development of various indices to support risk and trading processes
- Serves as subject matter expert in Gemini’s support system for internal and external stakeholders including customers and regulators
- Monitor developments in the market and help build, revise and enhance risk limits, methodologies and processes
- Contribute to build policy based risk management and governance framework in the organization
- Bachelor’s degree with specialization in math, statistics, engineering or any other quantitative discipline. Master’s degree preferred
- At least 5 years working experience in developing or validating quantitative pricing and risk models across asset classes
- Strong understanding of market risk measures such as Value-at-Risk (VaR), stress testing and option greeks
- Deep experience of working within /alongside trading /exchange business/ quants and developers
- Knowledge of traded assets and derivatives including futures, options, structured products and their risk characteristics
- Knowledge of index construction, algorithm design, exchange functionality, margining and market structure
- Advanced programming skills in C++, Matlab, VBA, R, Python will be beneficial
- Crypto derivatives experience is a plus
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.
Something looks off?