Head of Compliance, Ireland
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Gemini Ireland
As we launch Gemini in the European Region, we need to articulate an existing story to the Irish market - both institutional and consumers. We have a holistic philosophy that combines data, brand marketing, acquisition tactics, knowledge of regulatory headwinds, PR, and all aspects of consumer & customer-facing communications.
The Role: Head of Compliance
Gemini is looking to hire a Head of Compliance and AML/CTF for Ireland & EU. Joining a high-quality digital asset exchange that is established in the United States and regulated by the New York State Department of Financial Services, this appointment will be central to our aim of expansion in the region. In Ireland, Gemini is authorized as an Electronic Money Institution and registered as a Virtual Asset Service Provider by the Central Bank of Ireland.
Key to these growing aspirations will be an effective building of regulatory relationships and license. This individual will be tasked with building proactive relationships with the Central Bank of Ireland and other European jurisdictions over time and future-proofing Gemini to commercial and regulatory developments. They will work closely with other stakeholders locally and globally, charting the course for operations in the region to ensure our compliance practices and jurisdictional prudence is aligned with our overall Company objectives. The position will be located in Ireland and will be subject to approval by the Central Bank as the Head of Compliance (PCF-12) and Head of AML/CTF (PCF-52).
- Oversee Gemini Ireland’s compliance program
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of the regulatory requirements and ensuring any developments and changes are incorporated into procedures and practices as appropriate
- Oversee AML/CTF tasks conducted by both outsourced and local compliance staff
- Liaise with the Central Bank, maintaining an effective and open relationship with the regulator and managing all regulatory inquiries and reviews, including reporting and notification matters
- Track new or revised regulations and implement internal procedures and processes to ensure compliance for the commercial activities of Gemini
- Organize regulatory training for all employees on relevant regulatory and legislative requirements and the maintenance of training records
- Review, assess and enhance compliance policies and procedures and the compliance monitoring program to reflect regulatory developments and best practices
- Promptly and proactively escalate issues resulting from compliance monitoring, resolution tracking and management reporting
- Ensure maintenance of accurate records and details to prepare effective management and board reports
- Previous compliance experience in technology platforms such as e-Commerce, Payment Services, wider Financial Services, Credit Cards or Global Transaction Services and/or Exchanges will be advantageous
- In addition to a demonstrable track record as a senior Compliance executive, the individual will possess strong business acumen and judgement
- Proven experience gained within a relevant, regulated financial services organization and a strong understanding of relevant products and services, including current knowledge of their regulatory requirements
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and relationship building abilities
- Experience of working within sophisticated and international financial services businesses
- The experience, confidence and stature to make a strong impact at all levels of the organization as well as to liaise effectively and proactively with the Central Bank
- A tech-savvy, curious and innovative professional and team player with the proven ability to develop and run an effective Compliance and AML/CTF framework in an energetic, pragmatic, flexible and professional manner
- The ideal candidate will have a Compliance background but, in any event, he/she will possess a proven track record of successfully advising, influencing and representing an international company with complex regulatory matters
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.
Something looks off?