Senior Software Engineer, Fraud
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
The Department: Software Engineering
Gemini is regulated and licensed like a bank, but it’s run like a tech startup, and engineering is the core of the company. There’s a wide range of tough problems to solve at Gemini – from properly securing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of customer funds, to developing innovative new blockchain products, to finding new techniques to combat fraud, to shaving microseconds off our API response times, and everything in between.
All of Gemini’s engineers are able to work across the software platform, not just on their own specialization or subteam. We value a thoughtful, collaborative software development process, coupled with a pragmatic approach to problem solving and delivering software.
The Role: Senior Software Engineer
As an engineer on our backend team, you’ll architect and solve complex problems that will directly influence the direction of the digital asset space. There’s a wide range of problems to solve at Gemini – from properly securing millions of dollars worth of customer funds, to developing innovative new blockchain products, to building highly-available and high-scale systems on the cloud, to building anomaly detection models to identify risky behavior. We have a strong culture of code reviews, and a focus on security, with the end goal of writing and shipping high-quality code by getting things right the first time. We want to continue building the best product we can as we scale and grow our business. If you get excited about solving technical challenges that directly impact our customers, clients, and the rest of the Gemini team, we’d love to hear from you.
- Develop new products and product features on the Gemini platform, as part of a tight knit team of two to eight developers.
- Write automated tests and work with our QA team to ensure the operation and correctness of new product features.
- Provide technical input and knowledge to the planning, design, and requirements process for new products and features.
- Review other software engineers’ code for correctness, style, and information security concerns.
- Improve the performance, maintainability, and operations of the Gemini code base by engaging in occasional refactoring and upgrade projects.
- Support your team’s production software by responding to an occasional alert or bug report.
- At least 6 years of software engineering experience.
- Advanced proficiency in at least one language. We use mostly Scala and C++ on our backend and Typescript on the frontend – it’s great if you’re comfortable in those or if you’re willing to learn.
- The ability to work closely across teams and manage dependencies.
- A customer- and product-focused mindset, with the ability to make well-reasoned tradeoffs between speed and quality.
- The ability to adapt and handle multiple competing priorities in collaboration with peers.
- Experience working with or being a power user of Bitcoin, Ethereum, and/or blockchain technology
- Work experience or knowledge of the finance industry, payments, trading and/or exchange systems
It Pays to Work Here
- Competitive starting salary
- A discretionary annual bonus
- Long-term incentive in the form of a new hire equity grant
- Comprehensive health plans
- 401K with company matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible time off
Salary Range: The base salary range for this role is between $152,000 - $213,000 in New York City, the State of California and the State of Washington. This range is not inclusive of our discretionary bonus or equity package. When determining a candidate’s compensation, we consider a number of factors including skillset, experience, job scope, and current market data.
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.
Something looks off?