What we do
Ascend is a fintech company building the financing and payments infrastructure for the $1T insurance market (did you know insurance premiums make up 7.2% of global GDP?). More than 40% of payments are still made with paper checks resulting in poor customer experience and expensive and operationally intensive commercial workflow. Today's solutions were built 40 years ago for pen and paper insurance sales. Ascend is the first modern payments platform for insurance helping to enable the industry's rapid digitalization.
How we do it
Ascend automates insurance payments end-to-end — from online customer payments and financing to the distribution of commissions and carrier payables — so that insurance distributors can eliminate laborious, expensive processes while giving their customers the great online checkout and financing experience they've come to expect. Think Stripe + Affirm + Modern Treasury for insurance.
Why we do it
We exist to make it easier for people to protect the things they care about by simplifying and modernizing the insurance industry’s financial infrastructure.
As one of our first Product Design team members, you will play a crucial role in building out the design function at Ascend. You will work on both 0-1 products and improving our existing product offering. Working closely with customers and cross-functional teams, you will be responsible for creating intuitive, visually appealing, and functional designs that solve problems for our customers.
Responsibilities will include
- Closely interact with customers to understand pain points and needs.
- Develop and present design wireframes, prototypes and specs that effectively communicate product features and functionality.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams, including product, engineering, and marketing, to build a world class product.
- Build interactive prototypes to test and validate design concepts. Iterate on designs based on user feedback and testing results.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a design system to ensure consistency across all products and platforms.
You might be a good fit if you are/have
- Proven experience as a Product Designer, with a strong portfolio showcasing a range of design projects.
- Proficiency in design tools such as Figma, Sketch, Axure, or similar.
- Strong understanding of UX principles and interaction design.
- (Nice to have) Brand design experience.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Ability to balance creativity with practicality, considering technical constraints and business objectives.
- Very detail-oriented and maintain a high caliber of organization.
- Comfortable with the ambiguity and pace of an early stage startup.
- Competitive base salary and meaningful equity in a fast-growing company
- Parental leave and flexibility for families
- 100% world-class Health, Dental, Vision for you and your dependents
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We encourage you to connect with us even if you think you may not have the exact experience for this opportunity. We know that imposter syndrome is real – and that being outside of your comfort zone often prevents us from meeting candidates we would love to connect with and learn from as we grow.