Senior Counsel | Acorns
Acorns is seeking an enthusiastic self-starter to add to our Legal team. We are a company populated with creative and solution-driven individuals, and the Legal team is no exception. The Senior Counsel will report directly to the General Counsel & Corporate Secretary and collaborate closely with teams throughout the organization, as well as engage with the leadership team and our broker-dealer, registered investment advisor and European subsidiaries.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine, CA, or New York, NY offices.
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionately about Acorns' mission, vision, and values, please apply.
- Draft, negotiate, execute and create processes and playbooks related to a wide range of commercial contracts for Acorns, GoHenry and PixPay, including MSAs, marketing agreements, influencer agreements, licensing agreements and software/software-as-a-service agreements.
- Provide legal guidance regarding the development, marketing and use of the organization’s global suite of products, including advising on regulatory, data privacy and intellectual property matters.
- Participate in the creation of company policies and procedures to ensure ongoing compliance with applicable US, UK & EU laws, rules and regulations, company practices and standards, and best practices in an evolving regulatory environment.
- Coordinate with subject matter experts within the Legal and Compliance teams and outside advisors to ensure comprehensive and consistent legal risk mitigation strategies, including those related to the laws and regulations concerning the delivery of financial services to Acorns subscribers.
What you will bring to Acorns:
- 5-8 years of experience at a top-tier law firm and corporate legal department.
- JD with strong academic credentials from accredited U.S. law school
- Admission in good standing with at least one state bar, preferably California or New York.
- A bias for action, clear and concise communication skills and an owner’s approach to lawyering.
- Ability to independently manage complex and competing projects and priorities.
- Experience with or deep interest in investment management and broker-dealers.
- Knowledge of global data protection frameworks is a plus.
- In-house counsel experience with a fintech or financial services company is a plus.
- A strong passion for the Acorns' mission.
- Thirst for delivering game-changing products.
- A belief that your work is tied to your life's mission.
- Optimistic about the potential of societal change.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary, cash bonuses, and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is how everyday consumers save & invest for the long term. To date, customers have invested over $15 billion with Acorns, much of it in spare change. By putting the tools of wealth-making in everyone's hands, Acorns has become the largest subscription service in U.S. consumer finance, serving over 10 million everyday Americans. Customers get automated investing in diversified portfolios, a simple retirement product, a bank account that helps people spend less to invest more, and bonus investments from 20k brands. Plus, everyday Americans can easily invest in their kids and get money news they can use, all from the same app. From acorns, mighty oaks do grow!
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
Commitment to a diverse community:
Acorns is committed to building a diverse community of customers, partners, and team members. We believe that fostering diversity not only fuels creativity, but also challenges conventional thinking and helps us properly represent the unique experience of the everyday consumer that we serve.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $130,000 and $163,000/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including equity grants and discretionary cash bonus awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.